14 September 2005

Spurious Hope vs. Valid Hope

The competition for headline space is now between the US senate's hearings on the president's appointment of John Roberts as chief justice of the supreme court - and who's to blame for all the damage done by Hurricane Katrina.

The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God (Psalm 9:17).

I can't help listening to the live radio coverage of the senate hearings during my drive time. Career politicians verbally dancing with this very skillful lawyer is quite an auditory spectacle. I hope the Roberts appointment gets confirmed - but he gives me no hope. He will probably be a better appointment than Ruth Bader Ginsberg was, but I doubt he will be as good an appointment as were Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas. If you are a Christian, then to hope in John Roberts is an invalid hope. If you are a Christian, then you have a much greater ground for hope!

It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man. It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes (Psalm 118:8-9).

Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God (Psalm 43:5).

No comments: